Featured: Imperial Dog Palace from Victoria Trading Co.
Creature comforts for the one who leaves no doubt who rules the roost.
You will need:
- Approx. 1 yd. [0.9 m] of upholstery fabric, 54”[138 cm] wide
- Approx. 1 yd [0.9 m] of ticking, 54” [138 cm] wide
- 1 closed-end zipper, 26”[66cm] long
- Coordinating thread
- 1 ½ yds. [1.2m] to 2 yds. [1.8 m] upholstery felt (kapok), 24” [61cm] wide
- Kraft paper
DIMENSIONS: Approximately 26” X 22” X 4″ [66 cm X 56cm X 10 cm]
Seam allowance is included
Cut 1X in upholstery fabric and ticking.
Note: Construction of the pet bed is the same for both the exterior cover and the padded cushion with the exception that the ticking will receive the kapok stuffing and the upholstery fabric with have an inserted zipper.
- On both short ends between X and O, turn under ½” [12mm] and press flat.
- For the exterior cover, center the zipper between X and O and align the foldline along the zipper teeth. Pin/baste zipper in place and topstitch fabric to zipper tape.
- Fold fabric with right sides together (RST), and repeat to other side of zipper. Note: If the zipper is shorter than folded edge, center zipper placement and stitch up seam at both ends of zipper.
- For kapok cushion, fold ticking with right sides together (RST). Stitch 1 ½” [40 mm] seam at X and repeat at O. Topstitch folded edges between X and O.
- With ticking RST, align and match side seams. Pin/baste and sew side seams using ½” [12mm] seam allowances. Press seam open.
- Fold each notched corner and align and match the raw edges to form a miter. Pin/baste and sew seam at each corner.
- Turn the ticking right side out.
- Layer the upholstery felt in a high loft slightly larger in dimension to the ticking. Stuff the layers inside the cushion and slipstitch the opening closed.
- Repeat Steps 5 to 7 for the exterior cover. (Remember to open the zipper so you can turn the cover right side out.)
- Insert the kapok cushion into the exterior cover.