Featured: Turtle Tote by LIFEwithBIRD
An exercise in stylish functionality by Aussie line LIFEwithBIRD. A roomy, oversized canvas carryall, it can seamlessly go from work to after-hours party to weekend getaway, all without missing a beat. Here is a similar carpetbag version easy to draft and make up for your daytripping.
You will need:
- 1 ¾ yds. [1.5m] canvas or upholstery fabric, 54” [137 cm] wide
- 1 heavy-duty zipper, 18” [46 cm] long
- 1 ½ yds. [1.4 m] heavy webbing, 2” [50 mm] wide
- All-purpose thread
- Kraft paper
DESIGN TIP: Match zipper colour with webbing strap colour.
DIMENISONS: approx. 20” X 10” X 15” (51 cm X 25.5 cm X 38 cm)
Add ½” [12mm] seam allowances to all pattern pieces.
Cut 2 of each piece in fabric.
Cut 2 straps from webbing – 26” long
Cut a rectangle 20” X 10” in cardboard
1. Prepare the base. With right sides together, stitch around the perimeter of the base layers, leaving one short end opening. Turn base right side out and press. Insert cardboard into base piece and slipstitch opening closed. Set aside.
2. Prepare patch pockets. Turn under 2” [50 mm] of top edge of pocket pieces and press. Hem turned edge. Turn under pocket side seam allowances and press flat. Set aside.
NOTE: A dome snap, Velcro® tab or zipper may be added to the patch pocket opening if desired. Do so at this time following manufacturer’s directions.
3. With right sides together (RST), align and match raw edges of bag at A and B. Stitch a 1” [25 mm] seam at A and B. Press seam allowance open.
4. Center zipper FACE down along opening in seam. Stitch zipper tape to seam allowances.
Turn bag FACE UP and topstitch on either side of seam and zipper.
5. With RST, align and match seams between A-C and B-D. Sew seam and press. Turn bag right side out and topstitch along both sides of the seam on the FACE side.
6. On FACE side, center a patch pocket over the seam between the ● and edge-stitch along the pocket sides.
7. Attach ends of webbing strap at X at A and at B (on either side of zipper opening).
Open zipper and turn out bag through opening. With RST, join A to A and sew across seam, ensuring the straps are caught in the seam. (Be careful not to twist the straps.)
Repeat on opposite side for B to B.
8. Join C-D together (RST) and press seam open. On FACE side, topstitch on either side of the seam.
9. Align and match C to C and D to D. Sew seams, ensuring you catch the bottom of the patch pocket in the stitching.
10. Turn bag right side out through zipper opening. Place self-lined cardboard base into bottom of bag for support.