Featured: Mitered Pillows by Foley & Cox HOME
Clever use of the stripe from Foley & Cox HOME creates the illusion of mitered corners. With careful cutting and matching, a smart striped home décor fabric takes on a novel contemporary style when stitched into a mitered designer pillow. Select a favourite striped fabric and coordinate the colours with your home décor for this easy DIY project.
You will need: (for each pillow)
- 54″ [137 cm]wide balanced stripe home decor fabric*
- 1 loose fiber-filled knife-edge pillow form
- matching all-purpose thread
- kraft paper
* calculate required yardage by reviewing Cutting Instructions times the number of pillows desired.
Measure the pillow form from seam to seam (length & width). Using a ruler and right-angled square, draw a SQUARE template following these dimensions. Divide the paper pattern into 4 equal sized triangles by drawing two straight lines from opposite corners, intersecting in the center. Cut paper into 4 pieces along lines. TRACE off onto additional paper, add a 1/2″ [12mm] seam allowance to all edges of each of the four triangles.
The paper triangle patterns have two sides of equal length. Label the pattern with the letter X, at the center point, between these two equal sides. Label the corners on the unequal side with the letter O. With the points and corners of each triangle facing in the same direction, position the triangles on the striped fabric so each O-O line is parallel to and measures the same distance from a stripe. Mark and cut 8 identical triangles from fabric; four for pillow front and four for pillow back.
Design Note: To create the “cross” motif, align X facing in the same direction and position the triangles on the striped fabric so each O-O line is perpendicular to and centered on a stripe.
1. With right sides of fabric facing, and raw edges even, pin and stitch together one short edge of two triangles, matching stripes. Press seam open. Repeat for remaining 3 pair of triangles.
2. With right sides facing, and raw edges even, pin and stitch together two triangle assemblies matching stripes and center seams. The Xs of the individual triangles will now be in the center and the Os will make up the corners of the pillow. Press seam open. Repeat for remaining pair creating a mitered pillow FRONT and mitered pillow BACK.
3. With right sides of fabric facing, pin pillow front to pillow back along all edges. Sew front to back using ½” [12mm] seam allowance and leaving a wide opening at the center of one edge. Clip corners and press seams open. Turn mitered pillow cover to the right side through opening and press flat.
4. Insert pillow form into cover through opening. Pin opening closed around form and using a hand needle and thread, slip-stitch opening closed.
Design Tip: Embellish the pillow edges with corded piping or a brushed fringe to change the pillow style from contemporary to traditional if desired.