Featured: Escada Wrap
Here are my favourite bold colour combos for cosy sueded fabrics for those of you planning your new wrap for the spring/summer season. Just in case it looks intimidating, rest assured this is a patternless fashion design (a simple block draft) where the beauty of the fabric shines and bold colour is the star.
You will need:
- 1 yd [90cm] of fashion fabric, 60” [150cm] wide in colour A*
- 1 yd [90cm] of fashion fabric, 60” [150cm] wide in colour B*
- 12 yd. [11m] of double-side flat braid, 2” [50mm] wide
- Matching crochet yarn (pearl cotton or wool) to make 11 tassels
- Coordinating thread
* Analogous colour schemes – use any colour that lie adjacent to each other on the colour wheel. Your choice of hue may be any tint, shade, or tone.
- Red + Orange
- Red + Violet
- Yellow + Green
- Yellow + Orange
- Blue + Green
- Blue + Violet
DIMENSIONS: Approx. 60” X 60” [150 cm X 150cm].
Cut each fabric across its width to create two pairs of panel equal to 16” X 60” [40.5cm X 150cm]. Alternatively, if you desire a longer wrap, cut the panels along the fabric’s length to the desired finished length. (You will need to purchase extra fabric).
1. Make 11 tassel from yarn. (I used black embroidery wool) Make the cardboard template equal to twice the length of the finished tassel and fold it in half. Wind yarn around template as thick as you desire. Tie off across top and cut through bottom with scissors. Wrap more yarn around the top end and create a tassel.
2. Sew one panel of each colour together (I used double-sided microfibre sand-washed silk) with wrong sides facing. Press seam open.
3. Sew each pair together with wrong sides facing, allowing one end of seam to be open for 35” [89cm]. Press seam open and seam allowances flat on face side of fabric.
Apply flat braid (I used black grosgrain ribbon) over the seam allowances of the three seams.
4. Sew flat braid to edge of center opening in fabric, folding ribbon in a mitre at the turn.
5. Sew flat braid to perimeter of fabric, beginning and completing at the center slit opening and miter ribbon braid at each corner.
6. Attach a tassel to corners of wrap and at each seam intersection. (6 total on front hem and 5 total on back hem)