Featured: Lex Trip Bag
So this weekend will have you jetting off to the coast for sun & surf? For a weekend excursion you need a quick trip bag. Forget the luggage (too bulky); you need a versatile tote made specifically to carry all your belongings from wallet to swimtrunks for a quick weekend getaway. Here is a fun choice in a cotton waxcloth outer with leatherette base and trim, perfect for the do-it-yourselfer, similar to the Lex Trip Bag from PROPERTY OF.
Dimensions: approximately 18″ x 8 x 17″ [45cm x 20.5cm x 43cm].
You will need:
- 6 pop rivets
- 1 metal slider, 2″ dia [50mm]
- 2 latch hooks, 1″dia [25mm]
- 2 d-rings, 1″dia [25mm]
- 1 square ring, 2″ dia [50mm]
- 2 dome snap set, 5/8″ dia [15mm]
- 1 heavy metal zipper, 25″ [64cm] long *
- 1-2/3 yds. [1.5m] of nylon webbing, 2″ [50mm] wide
- heavy-duty thread
- 1 yd. [0.9 m] of upholstery weight fabric, 54″ [137 cm] wide
- 1/3 yd [0.25 m] of polyurethane leatherette, 39″ [100 cm] wide
1 square = 1 inch [2.5 cm]
Pocket– cut 2X
Struts – cut 4X
Handles – cut 2X
Handle trim – cut 2X contrast
Bag Bottom – cut 1X contrast
Tab – cut 6X contrast
DESIGN TIP: Use a permanent marker in the leather colour to carefully “dye” the edges of the leather pieces if you get a white edge after cutting it.
- To make D-ring tabs, wrap tab piece around D-ring and stitch close to d-ring. Open ends of tab flat.
- To make latch hook tabs, wrap tab piece onto latch hook and stitch close to ring.
- To make Shoulder strap, cut a length of webbing 6″ long and another, 30″ long.
On the 6″ piece, wrap one cut end of the webbing with a latch hook tab and X-stitch in place. Secure tab with a pop rivet. On the opposite end, slip a square ring onto webbing and turn end back on itself and X-stitch it closed.
- On the 30″ piece, wrap one cut end of the webbing with a latch hook tab and X-stitch in place. Secure tab with a pop rivet.
- Slip a slider on to the webbing. On the opposite end, slip the strap through the square ring on the shorter piece and back on itself through the slider.
- Stitch across the end of the webbing and secure with a pop rivet.
- On pocket piece, turn the top edge under 2″ and stitch down.
- Apply the top portion of the snap kit to the pocket following manufacturer’s directions.
- Place pocket up-side down at points G,H and stitch bottom edge to body using 1/2″ seam allowance.
- Fold the pocket upward and mark contact point of snap on body portion.
- Apply bottom portion of snap kit to the body.
- Turn under long edges of struts 1/2″ and press flat.
Place a pair of struts at points A,B,I,J and C,D,K,L on the body portion with pocket sides under the strut pieces.
- Topstitch struts in place.
- Repeat the above proceduces for the opposite side of the bag.
- Center contrasting bag bottom piece onto bag and overlap strut ends. Topstitch in place.
- On bag straps, turn under 1/2″ on both short ends. Press flat.
- With right sides together, fold the strap piece in half lengthwise and stitch along the length using 1/2″ seam allowance. Press seam open. Turn strap piece right side out. Press flat. Topstitch perimeter of bag straps.
- Fold the strap in half lengthwise and center a contrast handle trim along the open side of the strap. Wrap the trim around the “doubled” handle edge. Topstitch in place.
- Repeat this for the other bag strap.
- Align the ends of each strap level with the top of the pocket and sew an X-stitch to points A-B and C-D. (Note: ensure you allow for 1/2″ seam allowance at top of bag.)
- With right side together, align and match up the side seams of the bag. Stitch seam using 1/2″ seam allowance. Press seam open.
Fold across the bottom, centering the side seam in the middle and stitch across the open end using 1/2″ seam allowance.
- On the top edge of the bag, position the zipper FACE UP inside the bag on the wrong side of the fabric. Center it. Pin and baste in place. Unzip the zipper.
- With right side together, sew the pair of zipper plackets together across the short ends using 1/2″ seam allowance. Press seams open. Turn right side out.
- On one long edge of placket, turn under 1/2″ and press flat.
- With right side of placket to wrong side of body, pin/baste raw edge of placket over the zipper opening. Stitch around circumference of opening using 1/2″ seam allowance and ensure that you are securing the zipper tape in the seam.
- Fold over placket face up to right side of bag and align the folded edge with the machine-stitching. Topstitch in place.
- At top of each side seam, below the placket, center the D-ring tabs and apply with topstitching.
* Design Tip: Purchase the metal toothed zipper in the same metal colour/finish as the metal luggage hardware.