The Commuter Bandolier is a comfortable easy-to-wear shoulder vest and can totally tote your possessions in its pouches as you go about your daily routine. Cheerfully strap it on, head out into the world, and start a culture-wide fashion trend.
You will need:
- 1 yd. [0.90 m] of fashion fabric, 45″[114 cm] wide
- 1/3 yd. [0.30 m] of pocketing, 45″ [114 cm] wide
- 2/3 yd. [0.60 m] of fusible interfacing, 45″ [144cm] wide
- Coordinating thread
- 2 nylon pocket zippers, 10″ [25 cm] long
- ¼ yd. [23 cm] of Velcro® fastener, ½” [1.25 cm] wide
- kraft paper
NOTE: Length and width measurements may be adjusted by slashing through the RED lines and increasing or decreasing the amount needed in proportion.
** Add seam allowances to all pattern pieces.
Cut each pattern piece 1X in fusible interfacing.
Cut each pocket piece 2X in pocketing.
Cut interfacing 1″ X 11″ [2.5cm X 28 cm] for each zipper opening.
Cut 1 Velcro hook side – 7″ [18 cm] long.
Cut 3 Velcro loop side – 3″ [7.5 cm] long.
- Iron fusible interfacing to the wrong side of the INNER FACING pieces of the vest, following the manufacturer’s directions.
- On the OUTER pieces of the shoulder harness and right front piece, center and fuse interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric at the zipper placement.
- With right sides together (RST), match the upper pocket piece to the zipper placement on the shoulder harness. Baste in place. Stitch the outline of the pocket opening 10″ [25 cm] long X ½” [1.25 cm] wide, pivoting at the corners.
- Slash through center of outlined stitching and cut diagonally into the corners. Pull pocket lining through opening to wrong side of shoulder harness. This opening should form a perfect rectangle. Roll edges of opening between your fingers until each seam is at the edge of the opening. Press so that none of the lining shows on the outside.
- Center the zipper with the slider pointing upward behind the opening and baste in place.
- Topstitch around the pocket opening to secure the zipper.
- Match the remaining pocket lining piece to the upper pocket lining and align raw edges. Pin/baste the perimeter and sew up the pocket bag.
- Baste vertical seams of pocket bag to shoulder harness.
- Repeat inset zipper application to pocket opening on right front piece, as described above.
- Match front and back of shoulder harness with RST. Pin/baste long edges together. Sew seams, catching the pocket bag in the stitching. Turn shoulder harness right side out and press seams flat. Topstitch along the long edges.
- Match the vertical seams of the OUTER pieces of the “belt” portion of the vest. Pin/baste each seam and machine-stitch. Press seams open.
- Repeat last procedure for the vertical seams of the interfaced INNER pieces of the “belt” portion of the vest.
- Position the Velcro® hook vertically 1″ [2.5cm] from raw edge along the right front edge on the INNER portion (allow for seam allowance) with the right side UP. Stitch in place.
- Baste shoulder harness to OUTER portion on front and back along top edge, matching up RED dots.
- Pin/baste INNER and OUTER “belt” sections with RST and match up seams. Beginning at the center of the bottom edge, sew around the perimeter and pivot at the corners, leaving a 6″ [15cm] opening to turn out. Be certain to catch pocket bag in the stitching. Grade seam allowances and trim corners.
- Turn vest right side out and press edges flat. Topstitch around the perimeter to close opening.
- On left front, position 3 Velcro® loops horizontally and equally spaced approximately ¼” [0.5 cm] from the front edge on the OUTER section with the right side UP. Stitch in place through all layers.