Confucius say: “Make this bag and good fortune will bestow upon you.”
You will need:
- ½ yd. of Fashion fabric, 45″ wide
- ½ yd. of Satin lining, 45″ wide
- ½ yd. of Fusible interfacing, 22″ wide
- 1 yd. of Cording
- Coordinating thread
- 1 Closed nylon zipper, 12″ long
- 1 shank button
Cut fashion fabric, lining, and interfacing each 1X.
Cut cording 16″ long 2X; button loop 4″ 1X
- Iron fusible interfacing to wrong side of fashion fabric following manufacturer’s directions.
- With right sides together, lay lining on top of fashion fabric. Baste together.
- On centerline, draw a narrow rectangle equal to the zipper length + 1/8″.
- Staystitch around this outline.
- Cut down center of rectangle and diagonally into the corners at each end using sharp pointed scissors. Remove basting.
- Flip fabrics right side out by inserting lining through slashed opening.
- Press seams of opening flat for a neat professional look.
- Place zipper face up in center of opening. Pin and baste into place.
- Topstitch around the zipper opening. Open zipper.
- Add 2 long cord loops, one on each end of bag. Double the cording to form a large strap loop. Attach cut ends side-by-side at end of zipper. Sew a button loop to on end and attach a shank button on the other (as shown in model). *
- With right sides together, fold the fashion fabric in half and match notches. Pin and baste together along curved edge. (Keep lining free).
- Stitch curved seam and catch cording in the seam using a ½” seam allowance. Clip and notch seam allowance along curve.
- Repeat procedure for lining, leaving a 5″ opening.
- Turn bag right side out through zipper opening and slip stitch lining seam closed.
- To form the fortune cookie shape, “fold” purse and latch button to the button loop.
* OPTION: You can also make 1 long strap loop to slip through the button loop and draw up on it and omitting the button, if desired.